“As analysts, we’re asking companies,
regardless of whether or not they pro-
mote ESG products, about their internal
practices, …” he explained. “We have to
ask those values questions.”
Regardless of whether or not a firm
has ESG products, it will be asked about
these issues as part of the due dili-
gence process, Clift says. This includes
answering questions about what diver-
sity looks like at the asset-management
firm and if the company is focusing on
the environment, for example .
“Impact strategies in the past were
more of a niche and were more [targeted]
for a specific clientele,” he stated. “I see a
future where every single company has to
report those metrics, is going to be evalu-
ated on how it does and will be excluded
from portfolios because it doesn’t take
[impact and ESG issues] seriously.”
CHOOSING THE FINALISTS, WINNERSFor 17 years, Investment Advisor andEnvestnet | PMC have partneredto find, select and honor the AssetManager Award Managers of the Yearin multiple categories.
The selection process begins withthe Envestnet team of analysts, whoresearch each category for best-in-classmanagers by using several metrics. Inaddition, the analysts meet with mostmanagement teams to narrow the fieldin each category, which typically hasbetween about 30 to 200 managers. Thisyear, meetings were done by video conference due to the pandemic.
The analysts make their detailedpresentations of top choices to theselection committee, which then deliberates and votes on the winners. Theselection committee is comprised ofEnvestnet | PMC Chief InvestmentStrategist Tim Clift; Managing DirectorErik Preus, CFA; and Dana D’Auria,Envestnet co-chief investment officer;Investment Advisor Group Editor-in-Chief Janet Levaux; and ManagingEditor Ginger Szala.
The committee relies heavily on theresearch and due diligence expertise ofthe analysts. This process also incorporates Envestnet | PMC’s proprietarysystematic and multi-factor methodology, which evaluates managers on bothqualitative and quantitative criteria,including investment process and style,performance, firm profile, customer service and tax efficiency.
Ginger Szala is managing editor ofInvestment Advisor Group. She can bereached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finalists of the 2021 Envestnet & Investment Advisor
Annual Asset Manager & Strategist Awards
Large Cap Equity (two awards)
• Harbor Capital Appreciation Fund• Columbia Contrarian Core SMA• Alger Capital Appreciation Strategy• Alley Dividend Portfolio
Small, SMID, and MidCap Category (two awards)
• RMB SMID Cap Core Managed Account / RMB SMID Cap Fund
• Redwood US Small Cap Growth Managed Account / JHancock Small Cap
• Riverbridge Smid Cap Growth Managed Account
• EARNEST Mid Cap Value
• Brandywine Global Opportunities Bond Fund• Federated Hermes Total Return Bond Fund
Global, International and Emerging Market Equity
• Martin Curie Emerging Markets Fund and SMA• Oberweis International Opportunities Fund• Schroders International Alpha ADR Strategy
• Brown Advisory Sustainable Core Fixed Income• Pax Global Environmental Markets Fund
Liquid Alternatives Category
• AQR Diversified Arbitrage Fund• John Hancock Seaport Long/Short Fund
• WestEnd Advisors• Globalt Investments: Globalt innovatETF Strategies• BlackRock Target Allocation Portfolios